This week begins the start of a new decade as well as a new year. So, it’s a good time to stop, take a breath, reflect and refocus.
Here is a checklist you can use to guide your thinking.
- Look back on 2019. What are you most proud of? What do you regret?
- Look ahead to 2020. What are you most excited about? What are your biggest concerns?
- Read up on new legislation and industry trends. For example, how well do you understand the SECURE Act and what it means for your clients? What other political or economic trends could impact your clients or your business in 2020?
- Set realistic goals for 2020. As described in our article Goals! Goals! Goals!, we encourage you to consider having both results goals and activity goals.
- Consider improvements you can make this year to your client experience. What can you do to establish or maintain your reputation as providing the very best advice and the very best service for your clients?
- Review the structure you have in place to support your desired client experience. Anything you would change regarding your team? Add a new position? Change roles? Revise responsibilities?
- Consider technology improvements. What technological solutions can you implement or upgrade to become more effective and efficient in serving your clients?
- Examine your marketing messaging. Is it client-focused? Does it speak their language? Does it differentiate your value?
- Assess the ROI for your marketing strategies. Consider the return on your effort as well as your money. Are there better ways to reach your intended audience than you have employed in the past?
- Meet with your team. Set aside some time to update everyone on the past year’s progress and provide an update on what you want to accomplish in 2020.
- Consider finding a mentor or hiring a coach. Mentors and coaches can provide a broad range of experience, perspective, objective advice, and access to resources, all of which can be helpful in assessing where you are, where you could be and how to define your path to success.
With some careful reflection and intentional planning, you can be ready to make 2020 and beyond a time of spectacular growth for your business.