Do you remember the goals you set for 2020?
The ones you set for yourself at the beginning of the year before you had even heard of COVID?
If you are like most financial advisors and financial planners, you probably wrote them and then promptly forgot them.
If you want to make 2021 wholly different from 2020, a great place to start is by staying on target with your goals all year.
Wouldn’t it be wonderful to close out 2021 after accomplishing everything you set out to do?
Here are five tips to make sure you achieve your 2021 goals:
- Keep them visible. Write or print your goals in a place where you will see them every day (ideally, more than once a day). You can write them on a white board, add them to a journal, jot them on an index card or post-it note, or save them to your computer or phone’s wallpaper.
- Schedule time every month to step back and review your progress. Highlight where you have been successful and identify what held you back. Determine what changes you need to make to get back (or stay on) track.
- Set deadlines. A good, realistic deadline creates a sense of urgency and helps you shut out distractions.
- Break it down into manageable tasks so you know exactly what to do next. For example, if one of your goals for 2021 is to update your website, your immediate next task may be to define the criteria you will use to evaluate potential website development firms.
- Block time on your calendar to work on your goals. It’s easy to get caught up in the tyranny of the urgent. As Charles E. Hummel wrote, “Your greatest danger is letting the urgent things crowd out the important.” Therefore, set aside time every week to work on your most important goals.
I hope you are ready to make 2021 your best year ever!